Saint George church (Св. Ѓорѓи, Курбиново) located near Kurbinovo village, on the slopes of Pelister (Baba) mountain, is one of the least visited, but singularly among the most important churches in Macedonia.
This single-nave church originates from 1191 and its fresco-painting represents a true masterpiece of Byzantine painting.
The interior of this temple contains some of the most valuable murals in Eastern Christian art.
The fresco-painting is divided into three zones. The frescoes illustrate scenes from the life of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary. In the altar apse, the Annunciation composition is painted, which has made this temple a true masterpiece of Byzantine painting.
The depiction of Archangel Gabriel is truly impressive and it has become a symbol of the church, Saint George, in Kurbinovo. Part of this painting is depicted on the Macedonian banknote of 50 denars.
How to get to Saint George church in Kurbinovo
Up to the monastery leads a narrow asphalt road, which passes through the village Kurbinovo.
You must first stop in the village Kurbinovo, and ask for the key (for the Monastery) from a house on the left side of the road, located 100 meters before the center of the village (marked with a wooden sign).