According to one story, Ahmed Niyazi Bey one of the leaders of the Young Turk Revolution, after receiving a postcard of Versailles, also wanted to have a French-style estate.
The construction began in 1905 and the exterior of the building was completed in 1909 after the Young Turk Revolution. Yet, soon the Balkan wars started and the First World War, so the interior of the Saray was finished in 1922.
Built in the neoclassical architectural style, the building is symmetrical with a taller central portion and two wings. It has a basement, main floor, second floor, and attic.
The exterior walls contain rich sculptural details and the roof was originally made of wood but, during renovation in 1982, it was replaced with steel profiles.
Ahmed Niyazi Bey died in 1912 and therefore never lived to see his estate completed. The Saray was first used as an administrative building, city hall of Resen, city library and finally the Saray became a museum and gallery, which it remains today.
Archaeological and historical museum
The archaeological and historical museum were founded by the Assembly of Resen city. As initial exhibition material served local findings from the vicinity of the city.
In the continued existence, the collection was filled with objects from systematic archaeological research in Prespa, especially the island Golem Grad (Big city) various newly collected historical and ethnological objects, as well as numismatic samples.
Also as part of the museum institution are the Memorial art gallery Keraca Visulceva, Memorial House of the National Hero Mite Bogoeski in the village Bolno and Memorial house of the revolutionary Naum Veslijoski-Ovcarot (the shepherd) in the village Zlatari.