St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet “Small” is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

St. Clement – “Small” - church in Ohrid

Completed in 1378, the patron of the temple was Stefan, a prominent Ohrid priest.

During the Turkish rule when St. Clement’s church St. Panteleimon (Plaoshnik) was converted into a mosque, the relics of St. Clement were first transferred to the church St. Clement – Small, and later were relocated into the church Holy Mary Perybleptos.

St. Clement – “Small” - church in Ohrid

The fresco-painting of the church is characteristic of the city painting of Ohrid from that period. Particularly interesting is the standing figure of St. Clement, painted on the southern side of the nave.