The Church dedicated to St. George located in the center of Struga, is the oldest Christian religious building in the city and according to legend, one of the oldest spiritual shrines in the Balkans and in Europe.
It is known that on this place a church existed as early as the 13th century, which was rebuilt several times until the middle of 19th century, when the object was built to its present form.
The Church dedicated to St. George is one of the most representative architectural buildings from the period of the Macedonian revival. The carved wooden iconostasis was made in the spirit of the most beautiful works of the “Mijak” woodcarving tradition in 1847, and the throne and holiday icons were finished in 1849/50. The fresco painting of the church was finished in 1874 and is a work of the Makarievi brothers from Galichnik.
Icon of St. George
The icon of St. George dates from 1267 and is one of the oldest in the Macedonian collection of medieval icon paintings, and is a work of the painter John. This icon is among the 10 most valuable icons in the world and today is studied at many world universities and Byzantine centers.