The Church Dormition of the Mother of God (Успение на Пресвета Богородица), also known as St. Mary – Kamensko (Света Богородица Каменско) is located in the center of Ohrid city, close to the Chinar tree and the Old Bazaar.
The church was built and painted in the 17th century and later renewed and enlarged in 1832.
Wikipedia: The Dormition of the Mother of God (Macedonian: Успение на Пресвета Богородица) is a Great Feast of the Orthodox church which commemorates the “falling asleep” or death of Mary the Theotokos (“Mother of God”), and her bodily resurrection before being taken up into heaven. It is celebrated on 15 August (28 August N.S. for those following the Julian Calendar) as the Feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God.
The frescoes and icons of the iconostasis are the work of the famous Macedonian painter Dicho Zograf (Дичо Зограф) who painted the church in 1863. Especially interesting is the carved wooden iconostasis, which is assumed to be the work of the Mijak’s masters.
In the courtyard of the church is the tomb of Debar-Kicevo Metropolitan Anthonij.
Photos – Macedonia Postcards Blog…